This is really tasty and so easy to make. Since it only uses one pan, there’s the added bonus of very little washing up! We serve the paella with a side order of toasted wheat tortillas. When the paella is nearly ready, simply place the tortillas under the grill and lightly brown on both sides. This makes them nice and crunchy!
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, crushed
300g / 10½oz / 2 cups arborio rice
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin
½ tsp mild chilli powder
1 red pepper, diced
100g / 3½oz baby corn cobs, halved length ways
3 tomatoes, diced or puréed
900ml / 31½fl oz / 1½ pints / 4 cups vegetable stock
25g / 1oz / ¼ cup frozen peas
60g / 2oz / ½ cup unsalted cashew nuts
25g / 1oz / ¼ cup flaked almonds
12 black olives, pitted
1 tbsp Japanese nori flakes (optional)
pinch of paprika, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (griddle) or paella pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the rice, turmeric, cumin, chilli powder, pepper, corn cobs and tomato. Stir thoroughly, until the rice is coated in the oil and spices.
- Add the hot vegetable stock a ladleful at a time. Simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the peas, nuts, olives and nori flakes and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or so, until the rice is tender. Add a little more stock or water if needed.
- Garnish with a light sprinkling of paprika and serve with wheat tortillas, lightly toasted and cut into slices.