These bars are packed with goodness and contain no refined oil or sugar. With a low GI, they are a great snack for boosting or maintaining energy levels. Perfect for lunchboxes and after school snacks.
Makes 10 bars
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20-25 minutes
250g / 8¾oz / 2½ cups mixed grains (I use rolled oats and barley flakes)
27g / 1oz / ¼ cup goji berries, chopped*
27g / 1oz / ¼ cup mixed nuts or seeds, chopped* (I often use brazil nuts and almonds. For school snacks, I use sunflower seeds as nuts are banned).
27g / 1oz / ¼ cup toasted desiccated coconut (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g / 8¾oz / generous ¾ cup natural syrup (I use Sweet Freedom Natural Syrup).
* I whizz these in my mini chopper.
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan 160C) / 350F / Gas 4. Line a shallow oblong tin (approx 18cm x 20cm / 7” x 8”) with baking parchment.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Gently heat the syrup until it has a runny consistency. Add the vanilla extract. Stir the syrup into the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the outside edges have started to brown.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting.