Kale is a true “super food” packed with vitamins and minerals, including lots of bone healthy calcium. Roasting kale is a super quick, super easy way of incorporating greens into your dinner. It’s even delicious on its own as a snack. Lil’ L loves it, and hopefully other kids will do too!
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / Gas 4.
- Wash the kale and remove all the thick stalks (these have a bitter taste).
- Thoroughly dry the kale, using a salad dryer or kitchen paper. It is important to ensure the kale is dry otherwise it won’t crisp up.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with olive oil. Spread the kale out on the sheet and lightly spray with oil.
- Place the sheet in the oven and roast for 5 minutes or so. The time it takes to cook will depend on the size of the kale pieces. Keep an eye on it! My kale tends to come in bags of small pieces and takes about 5 minutes to cook. The kale is ready when you shake the sheet and it makes a ‘swooshing’ sound. Alternatively, you can try a piece to check whether it’s ready. If the kale has turned brown, it’s burnt!
- We like to serve our crispy kale with a lightly sprinkling of unrefined caster sugar (to re-create the Chinese crispy seaweed experience 😉 )
A short video of American blogger Kath making crispy kale (aka “kale chips”) can be found here.